Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Loop Unrolling

Topic : Loop Unrolling
source of the topic : Code Complete2

Loop Unrolling, is a technique for optimizing parts of computer programs. The goal of loop unrolling is to reduce the amount of loop housekeeping.
Note: Loop unrolling undesirable if you are concerned about readability of the code.
// Example of normal loop
i=0
while ( i < count ) {
a[ i ] = i;
i++;
}


Use this technique only when you desire for code optimization. It will severely hurts program readability

// Loop unrolled once
i = 0;
while ( i < count -1 ) {
a[ i ] = i;
a[ i + 1 ] = i + 1; // Unrolling once
i = i + 2;
}
if ( i == count) { //
These lines pick up the case
a[ i - 1 ] = i - 1;// that might fall through the
} // cracks if the loop went by
// twos instead of by ones



The technique replaced the original a[ i ] = i line with two lines, and i is incremented by 2 rather than by 1. The extra code after the while loop is needed when count is odd and the loop has one iteration left after the loop terminates.

We can see a gain of 43% in performance with loop unrolling once.

// Loop unrolled twice
i = 0;
while ( i < count - 2 ) {
a[ i ] = i;
a[ i + 1 ] = i+1;
a[ i + 2 ] = i+2;
i = i + 3;
}
if ( i <= count - 1 ) {
a[ count - 1 ] = count - 1;
}

if ( i == count - 2 ) {
a[ count -2 ] = count - 2;
}




We can see a gain of 43% in performance with loop unrolling once.
The results indicate that further loop unrolling can result in further time savings, but not necessarily so, as the Java measurement shows.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking for that meticulous model. The prices as regards the velcros are about 340 bucks everwhere. But definitively I set this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for that particular brand. The prices for the shoes are around 230 dollars everwhere. But completely I bring about this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I really love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good day everyone. I'm really into shoes and I was looking for that meticulous make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were approximately 320 dollars on every site. But completely I found this area selling them for half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hi friends. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging as far as something that singular brand. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were approximately 320 dollars everwhere. But completely I bring about this locate selling them for half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hi there ppl. I'm really into shoes and I was digging as far as something that particular model. The prices as regards the boots were all over 310 dollars on every site. But definitively I base this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase those. what is your opinion?